The Joy Of Work – Bruce Daisley
The one sentence summary: There are 30 ways to fix your work culture and fall in love with your job again.
WHAT THE BOOK SAYS
- The book is divided into three sections: recharge, sync, and
- Recharge: performance-enhancing ways to make work less awful
- Have a monk mode morning: block off time and think properly.
- Go for a walking meeting: science shows they are more creative.
- Celebrate headphones: people need flexibility to work as they like.
- Eliminate hurry sickness: slower is better than doing it twice.
- Shorten your work week: they are proven to be more productive.
- Overthrow the mill owner who lives inside you: presenteeism doesn’t work.
- Turn off your notifications: they distract you.
- Go to lunch: if you don’t, you’ll suffer physically and mentally.
- Define your norms: don’t assume your work culture is inevitable.
- Have a digital sabbath: don’t email at weekends.
- Get a good night’s sleep: self-evident, this one.
- Focus on one thing at a time: multitasking doesn’t work.
- Sync: fixes to make teams closer
- Move the kettle: people mix more readily over food and drink areas.
- Suggest a tea break: or drinks to get the whole company together.
- Halve your meetings: either their length or their number.
- Create a social meeting
- Laugh: it improves everything.
- Energise inductions: first impressions are the most important.
- Stop (being) a bad boss: do no harm and really understand peoples’ work.
- Know when to leave people alone: don’t meddle or micromanage.
- Buzz: secrets of energised teams
- Frame work as a problem you are solving
- Admit when you messed up: hot debriefs (immediate) are the best.
- Keep teams lean: adding people to a late project makes it later.
- Focus on the issue, not the people
- Introduce a Hack Week
- Ban phones from meetings
- Champion diversity
- Replace presenting with reading: read briefing papers properly.
- Conduct a pre-mortem: ask at the beginning what will go wrong.
WHAT’S GOOD ABOUT IT
- Most of these ideas echo precisely what I suggested in Tick Achieve over ten years ago.
WHAT YOU HAVE TO WATCH
- If you read a bit, you will have seen most of these ideas before.