It’s not just greenwashing you have to watch out for. Many companies come unstuck in their marketing when they fail to understand the bigger picture.
This usually falls into the following categories: too little, too triumphant, too late.
So consider the following.
IS IT TOO LITTLE?
- Is this claim too insignificant in the grand scale of things?
- Do we run the risk of being ridiculed for this?
- Will this simply highlight bigger areas of the business that are currently unethical?
IS IT TOO TRIUMPHANT?
- Is this an isolated claim that we are making an overly big fuss about?
- Could this solicit negative customer feedback because it feels somewhat incongruent in relation to other unethical parts of the business?
IS IT TOO LATE?
- Have all our competitors been doing this for ages?
- Does this simply highlight how late to the party we are?
Be honest with this assessment and ruthlessly analyse possible marketing claims from a purely marketing perspective. They may be true, but will they be positively received?